Tuesday 26 February 2008

Quilt Convention

I can't believe it's nearly a week since my last post. We had a great weekend in Melbourne - ate and spent far too much! Shout was great - very cool to see Aussie music icons like Glenn Shorrock, Colleen Hewitt, John Paul Young and Mark Holden. We sat three rows behind Alan Brough from Spicks and Specks. (Australian music trivia TV show)

The expo at the Quilt Convention was amazing. Along with hundreds of others, we arrived before the doors opened at 10.00 am on Friday. There was so much to see. It was nice to catch up with Gail at the Foothills Fabric and Threads stand and also Leonie and Deidre from The Quilted Crow.

About five years ago I went on a quilt shop hop through country Victoria with my Dad and we visited a lovely store in Castlemaine called Threadbear. At the expo, they had a new block of the month quilt on display called Ryland Manor. Having never done a block of the month I've been keen to start one for a while now. As soon as I saw this quilt I knew it was going to be this one. It has so many things I love - gorgeous reproduction fabrics including lots of shirtings, a house block, applique and medallion style borders. The lady below is Megan who designed the quilt.


It was hard to get a really good picture. Hopefully I'll have time to start on the centre block this weekend.


Downstairs there was a Quilt Show. My favourites were the quilts of award winning Australian quilter Judy Day. You were allowed to take photos so I will share some of these in each of my next few posts. I was in absolute awe at the tinyness of the hand quilting stitches.

This quilt is called Medallion Love Affair. The dahlia style block in the centre was inspired by a quilt made in Yorkshire, England about 1840 - 1860. The quilt features Broderie Perse and hexagons made over paper.









15 comments:

  1. I LOVE this ryland manor quilt , does the shop have a website that is carrying this as a bom?
    thanks
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Medallion Love Affair quilt is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryland Manor and Medallion Love Affair are both gorgeous quilts! Thanks for sharing pictures. It will be nice seeing your progress on your BOM quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like another lovely weekend. love this Medallion Love Affair! Wow! Looking forward to seeing this new BOM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your weekend must have been wonderful! The Ryland Manor quilt is so beautiful, it must be a very big job to make it-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Both quilts are absolutely gorgeous. I love the colours in them. I'll follow your progress on this, it will be fun to watch from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful choice for a BOM! I can't wait to see posts on your progress. I love the quilt in the show. You are right the hand quilting is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have picked a real treat for yourself in this new block of the month quilt. It is very nice and I loved it. I realy wish that I could make it too, but I have to many projects going on.I hope you will share the progres of this beautiful quilt along the way.
    I realy wish I could have visited this congres to...
    I am going to have a day of tommorrow and I am realy looking forward to relax, maybe I will be of for a long walk! Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of those names take me back....sounds like you had a fab weekend.....love the quilts..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad u had a wonderful time and u got back safe. Love the Medallion quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed all the pictures from the quilting convention and I mentioned them on my blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a nice balance of applique and patchwork in the Ryland Manor quilt.
    Is there a website for the pattern company? I've done a quick search for Threadbear and was unsuccessful trying to locate a shop website.

    Can't wait to see what you work up once you get it started.



    christineUSA

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow - looks like you had a wonderful weekend and found loads of inspiration. the quilts in your photos are amazing - i can't quite fathom that someone made them. i've a long way to go....
    cheers
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely BOM Christine. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    x Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Christine,
    It was so nice meeting you at the convention. I agree with you, Judy Day's quilts were my favourites too and how she gets that level of detail in a miniature quilt is astounding!
    I now have a blog for the Ryland Manor Block of the month and will be giving everyove the adress with Part 2 mailout. Until then thewre won't be much action on the blog, but here's the address if you want a preview. Go to http://www.rylandquilts.blogspot.com/
    Happy sewing. warm regards Megan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate your thoughts.

Christine